Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The combination of visual and poetic communication made me feel as though I was playing witness to the head-on crash of an illustrated children's book and a Burroughs novel. I found that the visuals often acted as a guide to help me decide on an appropriate interpretation of words, which for me at least, were not always enough to communicate the story accurately. At the times when the paintings, drawings, and collages were not helping me to understand the book they simply acted as a nice aesthetic quality.

The book reminded me of a comic strip in the way that they both use the idea of a polyptych. The main difference being that the understanding one can gain from viewing the pictures of a comic alone is much greater than that gained from viewing the visuals of Humument. I've drawn the conclusion that the only way I feel comfortable talking about the book at this point is in relation to other things.